One of the most wonderful treats summer has to offer is the abundance of fresh berries and stone fruits.
So I'm taking full advantage of these wonderful bounty while they are still in season and on sale.
This recipe would make such a lovely summer dessert. Comforting and simply delicious.
1 cup milk
2 cups thickened cream
4 egg yolks
150g caster sugar, plus extra for dusting.
1 tsp vanilla extract
a handful of fresh mint
stale wholemeal bread, sliced diagonally
4 peaches, stone and skin removed, cut in quarters
* Preheat oven to 160C.
* In a medium saucepan, bring milk and cream to boil over medium- high heat.
* Combine egg yolk and egg and add the sugar.
* Pour over the milk mxiture, a little at a time and whisking continuously. Add the vanilla and continue whisking.
* Remove from the heat and let stand for 15 minutes.
* Butter the baking dish generously and dust with caster sugar.
* Arrange sliced bread in the dish. Tuck peaches in between the bread and pour the custard mixture over and allow the bread to soak up the liquid for 20 minutes.
* Put in the oven for 20-30 minutes or until the custard is no longer liquid.
* Dust with icing sugar and scatter with cherries and mint leaves.