Delicious pears are in season at the moment and while looking for pear recipes to make I found this at Not Quite Nigella. This cake is so delicious and it is actually quite simple and easy to make. You must try it, you'll love it!
- 3/4 cup plain wholemeal flour
- 3/4 cup self raising flour
- 3/4 cup caster or superfine sugar
- 1 egg, at room temperature
- 125g melted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 400g pears or apples, diced
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon or vanilla sugar
- Icing sugar to serve
2. Mix the two flours, sugar, butter, egg and vanilla in a bowl. Press three quarters of the mix into the base of the tin-it will be like a sticky, buttery dough. Scatter the diced pears on top. Then place small pieces of the dough on it in a patchwork pattern so that the pear is not entirely covered up.
3. Layer 3/4 of the buttery mixture. Then add the pears and the rest of the dough scattered in pieces. Then the sugar.
4. Sprinkle with cinnamon (apples) or vanilla sugar (pears). Bake for 40-50 minutes. Sieve some icing sugar on top. Allow to cool before slicing as it is very delicate when warm.