A sweet and tender vegetable that is often mistakenly identified as broccoli when in fact it's a hybrid between broccoli and Chinese kale or gai-lan. Broccolini or baby broccoli tastes very delicious grilled with olive oil, in Asian stir fries or simply steamed on its own.
Here's a delicious but simple and easy to make recipe that's bursting with wonderful flavours that will leave you wanting for more.
1 bunch broccolini
1 Lebanese bread (may use pita bread or pizza base)
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
salt and pepper
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 cup mozzarella cheese
4 radish, sliced
6 slices dried herring in oil (cut in half)
1 tsp sumac
1/4 tsp chilli powder
* Preheat oven to 200C.
* Slice broccolini diagonally and blanch in boiling water for about two minutes until tender. Cool it immediately in ice cold water, drain and dry.
* Combine oil, garlic, salt and pepper. Spread mixture over the bread.
* Scatter the cheese on bread and top with radish, broccolini and dried herring.
* Cook pizza in oven for 10 minutes or until golden and crisp.
* Sprinkle sumac and chilli and serve.