It is March already in Australia! Autumn's here but the weather seems to
show little sign of making way for a cool change.
Not to worry because I have just the perfect dish for this so-called hot weather.
Eggplants are delicious and very easy to cook hence, I like using them in salads.
It is also essential to use good-quality olive oil and vinegar.
Thanks to Exotic Date, I used their Sweet Date Vinegar in my dressing
and it certainly added a bit of punch to the flavours.
My family really loved it and because the dressing was so good
I even used it as a dip on seafoods!
Anyway, here's the recipe for all of you to enjoy.
2-3 eggplants, cut into half and score with diagonal cuts
50 g cream
20 g tahini
40 ml Sweet Date Vinegar
1 tsp raw sugar
30 ml olive oil
10 ml light soy sauce
2 cloves garlic, sliced thinly
1 tbsp black and white toasted sesame seeds
1 tsp chili powder
salt and pepper to taste
* Prepare your grill if you have one but I prefer roasting my eggplants on my gas stove top. You can also use grill pan or roast them in the oven but you won't achieve that wonderful smoky flavour. You just need a good pair of tongs and put eggplants directly over the flame for about 3-5 minutes each side. You just want it done thoroughly but not well-done. Remove and allow it to cool.
* Mix the tahini and cream. Set aside.
* In a medium bowl, mix date vinegar, raw sugar, olive oil and soy sauce. Add in the garlic slices.
* Spread tahini mixture on a plate. Place the eggplants on top and spoon the dressing over. Sprinkle some chili powder and sesame seeds. Season with salt and pepper.
Recipe adapted from SBS by O Tama Carey.
Tahini or sesame seed paste is a traditional Middle Eastern sauce.
You can purchase one in specialty grocers or Middle Eastern stores.
Check out Exotic Date's date vinegar and its health benefits here.
Exotic Date Vinegar is available in the following Sydney stores (as of 4 March 2016)
- Avalon Wholefoods Store
- Healthy Life, Balgowlah
- The Health Shop, Warriwood
- Ingredients for Health, Crows Nest
- Maloney's Grocer, Surry Hills
- Dr. Earth, Newtown
- Nourish Health Food, Leichhardt
- 7th Heaven Wholefoods, Randwick
or you could order online at: www.exoticdate.com.au