Friday 12 April 2019

Kreta Ayer, Eastwood, NSW, Australia

Dining at Kreta Ayer reminded me so much of Singapore and of the many family lunch gatherings I had with my siblings, just like the good old times. I miss having hawker food as well as the other Singaporean dishes that I pretty much had daily in the years that I was living there. The very thought of that aroma of charred char kway teow is enough to make my mouth water. 
In Malay, 'kreta ayer' means water cart and in Chinese it's called 'niu che shui'. In the early 19th and 20th centuries these ox carts were used to transport water to Chinatown. I have been to Kreta Ayer numerous times for my hawker-style food fix and the food has always been consistently fresh and good however, service can be a bit lacking. Moreover, since this is a small restaurant, seating arrangement is rather tight so you have to squeeze into your seat. The place also gets really busy during peak hours and on weekends so be prepared to queue. 


Kreta Ayer Kopi with Grass Jelly
Pineapple, Mango, Sago and Coconut Milk

Ngo Hiang Roll


Oyster Omelette

Crispy Noodles with Seafood

Hot and Spicy Lala

Salted Egg Prawn

Penang Char Kway Teow



Kreta Ayer Eastwood
172-176 Rowe Street, Eastwood

Kreta Ayer Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment